The Institute of Education (IOE) is a public research university specialising in postgraduate study and research in the field of education. The Institute of Education Newsam Library, the largest education library in Europe is located in the main institute building at 20 Bedford Way, just off Russell Square.
The Newsam Library and Archives holds extensive collections of current and historical materials on education and related areas of social science. It offers generous study space and open access to many of its collections. The library catalogue is available to all users, and can be viewed remotely over the internet.
• The main library collection holds books and documents on all aspects of education, incorporating a large section on education worldwide
• The journals collection has 4,000 titles available electronically and over 2,000 in print
• A wide range of other electronic resources, such as databases, electronic books, documents and websites, linking to the very latest information
• There are 23 special collections and over 100 deposited archive collections, containing unique historical resources on education
• A Curriculum Resources collection, displaying examples of schoolbooks and teaching materials for all levels and all school subjects
• The main education collection contains a copy of every book on education published in the UK, and a substantial range from elsewhere
• Archives include those of the World Education Fellowship, the National Union of Women Teachers and the College of Preceptors
The Newsam Library is open to all visitors for research purposes as well as staff and students of the Institute of Education. We have various categories of membership, some of which entitle the user to free reference or borrowing membership.
The opening times of the Library vary depending on the time of year. We have shorter opening hours during the vacation period (Christmas, Easter and Summer) than during term. The library website lists the opening hours for Spring Term 2013 (Wednesday 2 January – Wednesday 27 March)
You can keep posted on the Library’s news and events at Newsam News, the Library’s blog.